Gerald A. Drinane
Fr. Gerald A. Drinane, SJ
Gerald was an efficient English teacher, gentle administrator, prolific writer, meticulous editor, able office manager/organizer, melodious singer, and accomplished photographer.
Gerald A. Drinane

Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. Gerald A. Drinane, SJ, who died on February 20, 2014, in Kurji Holy Family Hospital, Patna, India. Born on April 5, 1931, in Detroit, Fr. Drinane joined the Society of Jesus in Milford, Ohio, on July 24, 1949. He began his philosophy studies in West Baden, but moved to India and completed them in Shembaganur. He did his regency in Khrist Raja, Bettiah, and studied theology in Kurseong. Father Drinane was ordained in Pro-Cathedral, Bankipore, Patna, on March 19, 1962. His tertianship was in Sitagarh, and he professed final vows at the Xavier Teachers' Training Institute (XTTI) on Aug. 15, 1966.

Father Drinane was an efficient English teacher, gentle administrator, prolific writer, meticulous editor, able office manager/organizer, melodious singer, and accomplished photographer. He charmed many young people to the Society, directly by his vocation promotion contacts and indirectly through the vocation promotion materials he produced. He was actively present in all the Spiritual Exercises of the community.

In the later part of his life, Fr. Drinane suffered many physical ailments — he was a diabetic, had prostate issues, and had a heart condition that caused lung congestion and necessitated a pacemaker — but he never complained about any of these. They were all attended to at the initiative of others. He died of severe chest congestion while Sr. Anne Irene, MMS, said prayers for him, accompanied by the nurses and XTTI staff attendant.

Memorial Gifts     
Memorial gifts may be made to The Jesuits, 2050 N. Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60614.   
To make an online contribution, please click here  

In Memoriam
Publications

Jesuits Spring 2017

Jesuits Fall-Winter 2016

Jesuits Summer 2016





Jesuit Spiritual Center
The Jesuit Spiritual Center at Milford spreads over 37 park-like acres overlooking the Little Miami River, 30 minutes east of Cincinnati.