In Memoriam
Jack was a gifted, hard-working, faithful Jesuit priest. During his long years of active ministry, he moved easily between teaching, administration, and pastoral ministry. A quiet presence in community, he quietly bore the burdens of ill health as the time approached when the Lord called him to himself.
In Memoriam: Fr. John D. Cuddigan, SJ

Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. John "Jack" D. Cuddigan, SJ, who died May 30, 2017, at St. Camillus, in Wauwatosa, Wis. He was 87 years old, a Jesuit for 67 years, and a priest for 54 years.

Born in Anoka, Minn., on December 21, 1929, Jack attended grade school and high school in Minneapolis and Saint John’s Prep in Collegeville, Minn. After a year at Saint John’s University in Collegeville, he entered the Society of Jesus at St. Stanislaus Seminary in Florissant, Mo., on August 7, 1949. Jack had the usual Jesuit course of studies at St. Stanislaus, Saint Louis University, and St. Mary's College. He was ordained a priest on June 12, 1962, made tertianship in Decatur, Ill. (196364), and professed final vows on August 15, 1965. After teaching history as a regent at Marquette University High School in Milwaukee (195659), he earned a PhD in history from the University of Minnesota in 1968.

Jack’s ministry involved both academic and pastoral assignments. He taught history at Creighton University (196874) and at Gonzaga University (198386). From 1974 through 1983, he served as an academic administrator at Rockhurst College in Kansas City, Mo.; Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, W.Va.; and Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. From 1977 through 1980, Jack was first superintendent of schools and next director of deferred giving for the Diocese of San Diego. After a sabbatical in 1986 and 1987, he moved into pastoral ministry, serving as an associate pastor in various parishes in Minnesota and California and as pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church in Mankato, Minn. In 2004, he joined the Creighton University Jesuit Community and remained active in pastoral ministry in the Omaha area until declining health led to his move to St. Camillus in 2015. He continued to do active pastoral ministry in the Milwaukee area almost until his death.

Jack was a gifted, hard-working, faithful Jesuit priest. During his long years of active ministry, he moved easily between teaching, administration, and pastoral ministry. All his life, he remained fascinated by politics. A quiet presence in community, he quietly bore the burdens of ill health as the time approached when the Lord called him to himself.

VISITATION
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
6 p.m.
Court East Chapel
St. Camillus
10100 W. Bluemound Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226

FUNERAL
Tuesday, June 6, 2017
7 p.m.
Court East Chapel
St. Camillus
10100 W. Bluemound Road
Wauwatosa, WI 53226





Recent News

Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. Bernard J. Streicher, SJ, who died on August, 17, 2017, at Colombiere Center in Clarkston, Michigan. He was 88 years old. May he rest in peace.

August 16, 2017 — The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) is an unlikely place for a pilgrimage, but the author recently went there to visit the grave of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J. The location formerly had been the novitiate for the Society of Jesus.

August 15, 2017 — Today marks the centennial of the birth of Blessed Oscar Romero, the archbishop of San Salvador.

August 11, 2017 — Founded by Fr. Arnold Damen, SJ, in 1857, Chicago’s first Jesuit parish and second oldest church survived the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and a planned demolition.

July 25, 2017 — Free, online access to some of the most foundational scholarly publications and sources about the Society of Jesus is now available

July 19, 2017 — The World Union of Jesuit Alumni was held for the first time ever in North America at John Carroll University in Cleveland from June 28-July 2.

view all news

Search news

Publications

Jesuits Spring 2017

Jesuits Fall-Winter 2016

Jesuits Summer 2016



Jesuit Spiritual Center
The Jesuit Spiritual Center at Milford spreads over 37 park-like acres overlooking the Little Miami River, 30 minutes east of Cincinnati.