Profiles details
English, James M.
Jesuit Father James M. English died July 22, 2016, at Manresa Hall outside Philadelphia at the age of 80.
English, James M.

Died 22 July 2016

Jesuit Father James M. English died July 22, 2016, at Manresa Hall outside Philadelphia at the age of 80.

He was born on October 11, 1935 in Philadelphia, where he attended St. Joseph’s Preparatory School. After graduating, he entered the Society of Jesus at the Novitiate of St. Isaac Jogues in Wernersville, Pennsylvania, in 1953.

Fr. English went on to receive his bachelor’s degree and Licentiate in Philosophy from Loyola Seminary in Shrub Oak, New York. He then earned a Bachelor of Sacred Theology and Licentiate in Scared Theology from Woodstock College in Woodstock, Maryland. He was ordained June 11, 1966.

Fr. English spent three years teaching English and ethics in Jamshedpur, India, before becoming headmaster at Gonzaga High School in Washington, D.C. He then began a nine-year tenure at Holy Trinity Church as a parochial minister, assistant pastor and pastor. In 1982, he moved to Raleigh, North Carolina, to serve as pastor at St. Francis Church for five years.

After a two-year assignment as chaplain and teacher of theology at the Catalina School in Monterey, California, Fr. English returned to the East Coast and served Loyola College in Baltimore, Maryland, as assistant director of campus ministry. In the 1990s, he worked with the Clinical Pastoral Education program at Emory University Hospital in Decatur, Georgia, and as chaplain at Saint Louis University Law School. In 2001, he came to Georgetown University to serve on the campus ministry staff.

Fr. English lived at the Colombiere and Manresa Hall Jesuit Communities for more than 10 years, serving in pastoral ministry and praying for the Church and the Society of Jesus.

In Memoriam
Publications

Jesuits Fall/Winter 2018

Jesuits Summer 2018

Jesuits Spring 2018





Creighton University Retreat Center
Located 45 miles east of Omaha, Neb., in rural Iowa, the Creighton University Retreat Center is situated on 154 wooded acres on the Nishnabotna River.